At Rockford First, we are committed to the pursuit of God, authentic relationships, and a life of purpose. We simplify this by saying, we…LOVE GOD. LOVE PEOPLE. LOVE LIFE!
- We are a church that loves God with all our heart, our soul, our mind and our strength.
- Deuteronomy 6:5
- We are a church that loves people with, both, practical acts of compassion and words of encouragement.
- 1 John 3:18
- We are a church that believes that a life lived with God’s priorities is the best life possible.
- Philippians 2:13-18
- We believe there is One God, eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is the second member of the Trinity, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He is truly God and truly man.
- Matthew 28:19
- We accept the Bible as the inspired Word of God. It was written by men, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, is authoritative, and without error.
- 2 Timothy 3:15, Hebrews 4:12
- We believe every person matters to God. All people were created in the image of God to have relationship with him, but became separated from God through sinful disobedience. As a result, people are incapable of regaining a right relationship with God through their own efforts.
- Titus 3:5, 2 Corinthians 5:15, Romans 3:23
- We believe that the sacrifice and death of Jesus Christ on the cross provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sin. Therefore, God freely offers salvation to anyone who places their faith in the death and resurrection of Christ as sufficient payment for their sin.
- Romans 5:8, Romans 10:9, Hebrews 9:12-15
- We recognize Jesus Christ as the leader of Rockford First, not a person, group, or religious organization. The purpose of the church is to glorify God by loving him and by making him known to the world.
- Colossians 1:18, Hebrews 10:25
Baptism By Immersion
- We practice baptism by immersion under water – the way Jesus was baptized. Once you have accepted Jesus as your Savior, we believe that water baptism is an important step as a proclamation of faith.
- Colossians 2:12
- Find out more about baptism
- Our hearts were created to be loved by God and in turn to love him with all of our hearts. Worship is the way we live our lives and respond to who God is, what He has done, and His powerful love for us. One of the most consistent ways we worship is through singing and speaking words of reverence to him.
- Mark 12:29-31, Colossians 3:16, Psalm 29:2
- We believe the only way possible to live the Christian life is by God’s power within us. By obedience to the Word of God and daily yielding to the Spirit of God, every believer should mature and be conformed to the image of Christ. So, we seek to practice a daily dependence on God’s Spirit to enable us to do what is right and to obey God’s command to “be filled with the Spirit.”
- Ephesians 5:18, John 15:5
- We practice receiving Communion as an act of remembering what the Lord Jesus Christ did for us on the cross.
- Luke 22:19
Giving Back To God
- We practice tithing for the support of Christ’s Body, the church, as God commands. We recognize that giving 10% of our income is Biblical. We recognize that Jesus taught about money a great deal while on earth and stated a profound truth when he said, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
- Matthew 6:21, Leviticus 27:30
Every Believer Is A Minister
- The Bible teaches that every follower of Christ is called to “full-time” Christian service, regardless of his/her vocation. This is called the “priesthood of believers” and means that we’re all called to be ministers. We believe that every person has talents and abilities to be discovered, developed, and deployed.
- 1 Peter 2:9
Telling Others About Jesus
- Jesus asked every one of us to share the Good News and God’s love with the people in our lives! We believe that it is the responsibility of every Christian to tell others about Jesus and invite friends to church.
- 1 Peter 3:15